Friday, December 7, 2012

TRAVEL - Yogyakarta Day 2


We left Jogja around 5am and arrived at the temple grounds of Borobodur around 6am.  By this time, there's already a cue for foreign tourists.  I think foreigners can come in earlier as the cue for locals have yet to open at this time...probably a trade off for the exuberant entrance fee.

USD 20 per head in my opinion is just too steep.  Knowing locals just need to pay USD 3 doesn't help the cause either.  But what the heck, I came here to enjoy the experience of Borobodur.  Upon seeing Borobodur though, my immediate reaction was not WOW but WTF!!!

It's being renovated!?  While a good thing in terms of its preservation, couldn't they have scheduled it after my visit!?  I think this is already a curse as the same thing happened during our visit in Angkor Wat.

But a photographer makes no excuses!!!

Taken with a Canon 5D Classic, 17-40 4L, ND400 and .9 GND

Myself in action...photo courtesy of my friend Robby
It was really tough taking photos of the temple not just because of the tourists, but the security personnel who are all wearing ultra bright reflective yellow vests.  I actually have a wider shot of the temple but unfortunately they are all in the way.

Climbing the steps of Borobodur Temple and going around its walls, I just can't help but be in awe of all the stone carvings along its walls...and the way the colors pop when hit by the sun...

At a glance all walls may look the same but they are distinct in every way...

Walls are filled with impressive stone carvings such as this

Unfortunately, I only have so much time wondering around these walls.  Tourists are starting to arrive in droves and I can't afford not to take my desired photos of Borobudur's famed stupas.  So I blazed my way to the upper platform and managed to get these photos...

Achieved this shot via HDR...combining 5 photos in 1 stop increments.  Taken with a Canon 5D Classic, 17-40 4L, ND8 and CPL

Taken with a Canon 5D Classic, 17-40 4L, Hoya ND8 and .9 GND

Underexposed my shot to show a silhouette of the 2 mountains.  Taken with a 5D Classic and 24-105 4L

A few minutes later, place is already jam-packed both by local and foreign tourists.  Locals are composed mainly of students probably on their field trip.  I would've wanted to take more photos but there's just no way I can get the shots I want.

I just enjoyed roaming around the temple as a tourist and just took these snapshots on my way back...

Can't get enough of these stone carvings...

And another...

For some reason I'm still not that satisfied of my shot of the temple.  After going around looking for a better angle, I ended up with this.  Nothing really original but at least I got my shot...

Solution for tourists ruining your photo?  Blur them out! Taken with a Canon 5D Classic, 17-40 4L, ND400 and .9 GND

With more time to spare, we went to tour the foothills of Mt. Merapi.  An active volcano that erupted last October 25, 2010 and caused major damage to the city of Jogja.  Unfortunately, rain has started to fall and there was nothing but gloomy skies to show.  

These are the photos I managed to scrape up...



This huge boulder was spew out kilometers away from Mt. Merapi's crater

Myself enjoying the surroundings of Mt. Merapi...now only if the damn helmet didn't smell so bad!

Remains of the vehicles of Mt. Merapi's spiritual guardian  Mbah Maridjan.  He stayed at his home during the exlposion and was found dead in a praying position.

Local dessert...which name I forgot but will update as soon as I get to know it :)

This was my first time to experience the adventure lifestyle of Indonesia and I was not disappointed.  Never have I been this excited to go back to this country.  Good sites, good vibes, good views and a good travel buddy...

How can you not love life? :)





























No comments:

Post a Comment